Stage 6 brings top-level professional racing back to one of the hotbeds of American cycling; there likely isn’t an American in the peloton who hasn’t trained on these roads. After two laps in downtown cycling-crazed Golden, which hosted one of the race’s largest crowds during the 2011 race, the field will head toward Boulder and through the first sprint line of the day near the Pearl Street Mall and the race’s expo area. Next comes the arduous 15 mile climb up Boulder Canyon to the town of Nederland, then the cyclists travel along the gorgeous Peak to Peak Highway, descending to another sprint line in Lyons, and on to the well-known climb up Left Hand Canyon and Lee Hill Road. Nedfest in Nederland and the Kinfolk Celebration on Planet Bluegrass in Lyons happening simultaneously on this day will make for a festive atmosphere in each of these enthusiastic towns. A quick passage back through downtown begins the gradual climb through “The Hill” neighborhood. From here the riders make a final 3.5 mile climb to the historic Sunrise Amphitheater on Flagstaff Mountain. This well-known stretch and its 1200’ elevation gain should be the deciding factor in the day’s racing – and possibly the whole week’s competition.
For Printable Version select Start or Finish image.
For highway closure and traveler information, visit www.cotrip.org.
For camping guidelines, visit www.fs.usda.gov/goto/r2/procycling2012.
Download: Stage 6 Spectator Guide
Download: Stage 6 Route Map
Download: Stage 6 Start Map
Download: Stage 6 Finish Map
Download: Stage 6 Profile
Download: Stage 6 Timetable
Here is what you CAN do.
- Watch the start in Golden and easily make it to Boulder for the finish, even by bike.
- Watch on top of Boulder Canyon and come back down to see finish, Sprint line on “The Hill”, or enjoy festival.
- Watch first pass through Boulder and make it to Left Hand Canyon for last climb.
- Ride or hike up Flagstaff for finish
- Watch on top of Boulder Canyon, then go enjoy live music at Nedfest
- Watch Sprint line in Lyons and stay for that evenings Folks Festival
Here is what you CANNOT do.
- Drive up or park on Flagstaff road.
- Expect to get to finish lane late in the day. A limited number of spectators will be allowed up on Flagstaff Mountain. Arrive early if you want a spot, and plan to ride or hike.
- Ride up last 1k to Flagstaff Amphitheatre. The last 1k of the course is too narrow to allow bikes, spectators on foot only. A bike coral will be set up at 3 locations on Flagstaff road.
- Lee Hill Road
- Downtown Boulder
- Downtown Boulder