Gunnison’s beautiful landscape, surrounded by sage- covered high mountain mesas, rugged mountains, lakes and rivers, provides amazing outdoor recreation amidst blue skies, and vast wilderness. The perfect recreational get-away, with attractions such as Curecanti National Recreation Area, Hartman Rocks Recreation Area, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Taylor Reservoir, Western State Colorado University, the largest body of water in the state, Blue Mesa Reservoir, and Gunnison Whitewater Park.
With over 80% of the county public land, there are unlimited opportunities to hike, mountain bike, camp, fish, and explore. It’s a place where biking is a way of life, with hundreds of miles of epic single track and quiet roads that take you away from it all. Riding on the trails, you can enjoy the scenery and wildflowers or challenge yourself to some technical trails. The roads take you on a journey through the rolling ranchlands or to high mountain passes. The adventures await!
The ranching heritage has endured the test of time and cowboys still work on the ranches and drive cattle on the highways taking you back to simpler times.
Enjoy a full calendar of events from bike races to the arts and spectacular 4th of July activities.
· Home of The Original Growler May 24-25, 2014, http://gunnisontrails.com/gunnison-trails-events/the-original-growler/ an epic 64 mile mountain bike race in Hartman Rocks Recreation Area, singletrack haven on the south edge of Gunnison.
· Girls Night Out Bike Gran Prix, August 17-18, 2014, www.girlsnightoutgranprix.com
· Dave Wiens West Elk Classic, August 31, 2014 http://www.westelkbicycleclassic.com/
A 134 mile timed tour from Gunnison to Crested Butte with 9300’ of climbing is hosted by Western State Colorado University. Featuring views of the North Rim of the Black Canyon, West Elk Wilderness and finishing with the climb up Kebler Pass and a cruise into Crested Butte this is a bucket list ride.
· The League of American Cyclists has awarded Gunnison the silver level bicycle friendly community award.
· High Altitude Performance Lab at Western State Colorado University http://www.western.edu is a sport performance and exercise physiology facility equipped to assess major fitness parameters. At 7750 feet, the lab is open to the public for testing for a nominal fee.
· Gunnison Trails http://gunnisontrails.com/ develops and promotes sustainable trail use throughout Gunnison County, providing trail information and updates.
· The 114th Cattlemen’s Days is scheduled July 5 – 13, 2014. http://www.cattlemensdays.com/